- Products and PDKs
- Contact us
Release notes IPKISS 3.1.0
Ipkiss 3.1 introduces an EDA integrated design flow based on the combination of the Ipkiss framework with the L-Edit layout tool by Mentor Graphics.
- The Python script UI is ideally suited for component design, component exploration tape-outs, as well as the creation of complex parametric cells and full-fledged circuits. The software ensures that parametric cells can be reused within your organization.
- The L-Edit based GUI is the path to take if you want to leverage standard EDAfunctionality in combination with specialized photonics design, and need to integrate your design with electronic driver circuits.
Ipkiss 3.1 contains a lot of bugfixes and small improvements compared to Ipkiss 3.0.1. A detailed list can be found below. There are a few changes in Ipkiss 3.1 that introduce a backward incompatibility with Ipkiss 3.0.1. These are explained in more detail in the porting guide (which can be found in the documentation after installation). Please visit the website at http://www.lucedaphotonics.com to find out more.
Full list of improvements and bugfixes¶
There are a few changes in Ipkiss 3.1 that that introduce a backward incompatibility with Ipkiss 3.0.1. These are explained in more detail in the porting guide.
- The installer now works correctly on Windows 10
Samples & documentation¶
- New demonstration library (including a technology setup) + associated demonstration projects (
- Small updates to the trainings and samples (
samples/ipkiss3/training and samples/ipkiss3/getting_started).
- Improved sample for GDSII import in the documentation.
- Sample on how to find cells in a layout which have a label inside (with a given text). See
- Guide on technology: this guide explains you how to build your own technology with Ipkiss.
visualize_2d()does not display the image twice anymore in notebooks.
- Added the decorator
@lock_properties()to make all properties of a
StrongPropertyInitializerclass read-only. See the PCell guide in the documentation for usage.
RestrictTypeListnow has a proper string representation (
RestrictRangecan now handle float values, even when the range bounds were specified as integers.
- New functionality: Added capability to specify Caphe time domain models: pure input/output behavior, Ordinary Differential Equations (ODE) and Coupled Mode Theory (CMT) models can be specified. Note: this is still in an early stage. Simulation models are already defined in IPKISS, but the simulation setup is still done in native Caphe and not in Ipkiss.
- New functionality: Added
BoundaryPathelement. It is a boundary which keeps a reference to its centre line.
- Fix: Views (Layout, Netlist) are now compared based on overridden properties, but also overridden view data.
Netis now available in
- Fix: Automatic transitioning between waveguides is now based on a detailed comparison of the waveguide windows. Note: this may change your design. For example, a
PlaceAndAutoRoutecomponent (which uses
Connector) may now have less unnecessary transitions.
RouteManhattanwill no longer yield solutions with bend radii that are too small. However, this could in some cases lead to a waveguide crossing.
- Bugfix: Shapes defined with integer coordinates are now converted to float coordinates to avoid rounding errors.
ShapeVariableOffsetnow works properly on simple shapes.
- Bugfix: Boolean operations on
Boundarynow correctly take a transformation into account.
- Bugfix: Layer filters (
LayerFilterDelete) are fixed. They no longer functioned because the class
__LayerElement__was renamed to
Label.size_info()now returns a new empty
SizeInfoobject (previously, it returned the global
- Bugfix: The cross section visualization of a layout view now correctly takes the hierarchy into account.
- Bugfix: Trace transitions with zero length now have the correct port angles.
- Bugfix: Rounded waveguides where there is not enough bend space in the first and last section will now throw an error. Previously, this was ignored, which resulted in too small bend radii.
ElectricalPortis now correctly transformed if you manually set the angle.
- Bugfix: Making a copy of a port also copies the position into a separate coordinate object.
- Bugfix: Small code refactoring to
_GroupElement. As a result, a port no longer contains a portlist itself (which is logical).
- Bugfix: The process parameter was not passed in IoColumn.add_blocktitle. The pattern purpose for the text was hardcoded and is now a parameter as well.
NamePropertynow prints a valid error message when a non-string is assigned.
NoDistortTransformabledo no longer take positional arguments (i.e. the
__init__has been removed). This is very unlikely to affect any user code.
- Improvement: Trace transitions originating from a port now have default zero length. This default behavior keeps containers more compact when no transitions are needed.
ShapePropertyis now a class, rather than a shortcut function. This should normally not introduce any compatibility problems, unless you have used the
- Improvement: The comparison of Trace Templates (and Ipkiss 2.4 Waveguide Definitions) is now more rigorous. As a result, there might be occurences where tapers are removed where trace templates are identical. Also,
WgMziGenericin Picazzo will now add tapers in a more reliable way.
- Improvement: Waveguides and traces now have a default shape:
[(0.0, 0.0), (TECH.WG.SHORT_STRAIGHT, 0.0)].
Improvement: the template property of a templated
Waveguidenow has a default value. More specifically:
[Backward incompatible] Change: environment variable
IPKISS_LOG_LEVELhas been renamed to
- All Picazzo components now have sensible default values.
- Added waveguide connectors (
- Added inline waveguide gratings (
- Added a logical inline reflector with a Fresnel reflection model (
StraightGratingLinefor simple grating couplers.
MziWithCellsnow calculates the combiner transformation taking into account tapering, and the transformations for splitters and combiners can also be manually overruled.
MziWithCellsnow generates a valid MZI arm when the child cell in the arm is specified through inheritance (as a
angle_stepis now correctly passed in the ring resonators (
picazzo.filters.ring), from the ring cell to its constituting waveguides.
get_ring_length()of RingRect.Layout and derived ring resonators now reports the complete ring length instead of one quarter of the ring
IoFibcoupcan now handle west ports routed to east and vice versa, when port labels (
"W1", ...) are used
- Bugfix: Use of predefined columns from
genericpdk.library.io.columnwill now work. There was a syntax error before.
MMIIdenticalnow has 3 inputs and 3 outputs by default. There was a circular dependence before.
RibMMIclasses now use the default rib waveguide templates, instead of the default strip waveguides.
- Bugfix: Transition of slot waveguides now adjusts to the layers of the slot waveguide template. Before, these layers were hardcoded.
- Bugfix: Transitions created with
AutoTraceTransitionFromPortnow have unique names. As a result names of transitions in your design might have changed.
RoutePortsAroundCornernow has a one-to-one correspondence between the waveguide instances in Netlist and Layout. Before, the waveguide instances were reordered in the layout, which could lead to a mismatch between layotu and netlist.
- Bugfix: Trace chains and Spirals were incorrectly connected on netlist level.
- [Backward incompatible] Improvement: Wire waveguide transitions
WireWaveguideTransitionFromPortLinearnow have an adaptive length with a minimum of
TECH.WG.SHORT_TRANSITION_LENGTH. Note: This will have an effect on your design if you used short tapers between a very wide and a very narrow waveguide. Such short tapers can introduce a large loss, and therefore an adaptive length was introduced: The larger the width mismatch between the two waveguide cores, the longer the taper will be.
- [Backward incompatible] Added property
ElectricalWireTemplate, with default value
TECH.PURPOSE.DRAWING. The original purpose that was used was
TECH.PURPOSE.DF.LINE. If your technology used
TECH.PURPOSE.DF.LINEfor drawing electrical wires, you need to change this default.
- Added transitions when ports don't match the trace template.
- Added automatic detection and highlighting of crossing waveguides using the
- Added the method
get_waveguide_crossing_points()on the Layout view.
- Added the possibility to manually override individual waveguide routes
end_straightproperties on the Layout view. These influence the behavior of the routing.
linksproperty has a proper restriction. It checks if it's a list, with tuples, and each tuple is exactly size 2.
FanoutPorts: When no reference coordinate is specified, the first route will follow a more natural shape. Note: this may change behavior of
FanoutPorts. It will only occur when you perform a
FanoutPortson a component where the first ports (the reference port) is at an angle with the output direction, and no
reference_coordinateis specified. Now the shortest route to the output direction is used, while originally the waveguide could make a somewhat awkward bend. If you manually specify the
reference_coordinate, there is no difference.
RoutePortsAroundCornerwill now sort the ports before generating the routes.
StraightWgSocketfor fiber couplers is now centered around (0,0), rather than starting at (0,0). By default, it now overlays correctly on a straight grating.
RibMMIclasses now have more sensible defaults for widths and input/output positions.
- Improvement: Generic ring resonators (
RingTraces) now have a default circular shape instead of an empty shape.
"VIA12"as name prefix - therefore autogenerated names will change when the name was not manually set.
PlaceandConnectcan now logically connect components with electrical as well as optical terms.
- Improvement: The
ParabolicCrossinghas no hard-coded layer purposes anymore. These can now be set using the properties
- Improvement: The generic
TraceChainclasses now, by default, concatenate 3 right-angle bends. This illustrates the functionality better.
- Improvement: The default width of the intermediate wire of a Rib-to-Wire transition (
WireRibWireWaveguideTransitionLinear) is narrower, resulting in a smoother transition.
Improvements to Spirals:
- The East output section of
DoubleSpiralWithIncouplingdoes not extend as far east as it used to be. It default to
- Spiral loops are now cut in 2 to avoid self-intersecting polygons on export.
- The East output section of
- Bugfix: TaperDeepPorts and TaperShallowPorts had wrong port names: multiple ports with the same name could result. The port names of the tapered structure are now identical to the port names of the original structure.
Starting from our extensive validated component library, we can assist you in the creation and validation of new model libraries