PDK implementation and development
Services for fabs and foundries
Luceda offers a range of PDK-related services to both public foundries and private fabs:
- PDK implementation: for public foundries and company private fabs who already have a well-defined set of design rules and a library of predefined building blocks, Luceda can make an implementation of the fab's PDK for Luceda software.
- PDK development: for foundries and fabs who do not have design rules or validated building blocks yet, Luceda provides services to fully develop a PDK.
- PDK maintenance and distribution: Based on extensive automation and quality assurance procedures, Luceda can maintain, update and distribute foundry PDKs.
- Foundry training: instead of maintaining the PDK at Luceda, we are also happy to train foundries to maintain PDKs themselves.
LUCEDA PDK CONCEPT
IPKISS covers a wide range of PDKs (process design kits) for different application areas and technologies.
Luceda PDKs are unique as the library devices combine layout, circuit models and device CAD recipes in one coherent set.
- Python based PDKs give the builder full flexibility to optimize layout and component circuit models to optimize yield.
- Device simulation recipes seamlessly link layout, device CAD simulation (FDTD, FEM, ...) and circuit simulation models. The EM simulation settings, which are critical for e.g. FDTD and mode solvers, are part of the parameterized PDK model.
- OpenAccess and iPDK standards enable you to deploy your PDKs to different EDA vendors
- Quality assurance tools will give you a master view over the PDK development and will let you do regression testing and sign off at version updates.
A PDK building block consists of 3 strongly coupled models:
- The layout models are today still the most important to control in your PDK design flow. Many yield challenges are about optimizing layout.
- Device simulation models are created by combining layout information with technology stack information. That is were most device simulation links stop. In the IPKISS PDK, also the simulation strategy, such as excitation, symmetry planes and mesh density are part of the model. As a PDK builder, you want the parameterized components simulated as planned.
- Circuit simulation models (behavioral or compact models) can be generated from analytical calculation from layout, measurement data or physical simulation data.
The PDK is complemented by a DRC deck, used for design rules checking. The DRC deck is made for Mentor Graphics Calibre, and is usually provided directly from the FAB.
PDK creation infrastructure
Luceda has developed a toolbox for the advanced PDK builder based on over 10 years of experience.
Predefined PDK format
- Standard databases and data files: OpenAccess, GDSII
- Open language: Python
- Luceda PDK guidelines
- Easily catch regressions
- Reference file based
- Layout, model
- Version control
Features for component exploration
- Easy parameter sweeps
- Maskset floorplanning
- Add fiber couplers automatically and optimize floorplan
- Export test vectors for test procedures
- Automated build of distributable package
- Creates ao. Ipkiss, OpenAccess, & GDSII files
FAB technology overview - Main application areas
Starting from our extensive validated component library, we can assist you in the creation and validation of new model libraries